In order to find a good Personal Injury lawyer in Brisbane, you first need to determine what you think makes a good lawyer and what you consider to be the attributes of a good law firm.
What makes a good lawyer
Some characteristics of a good Brisbane lawyer you may consider important include:
- Expertise in the area of Personal Injury Law
- Excellent customer service focused on providing you with help
- Experience with respect to how to get you the best result
- They provide you with free initial advice in relation to the strength of your claim and any important due dates
Given that Personal Injury Law is a very particular and extensive area of law, one of the attributes of a good personal injury lawyer is that they are a Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law.
To qualify as an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law, a lawyer has to first be eligible to study for this accreditation. For example, a lawyer has to have at least five years’ experience and involvement in personal injury law to be considered for admission into the program.
A good lawyer will use this expertise, combined with their years of experience, to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that your compensation amount is maximised.
Appreciating that you, the Claimant, would typically be in a stressful situation, a good lawyer will be focused on helping their client by simplifying the legal process and identifying what needs to be done and by what date. They will also be able to explain the key steps of the legal process in everyday English, perform negotiations and complete all forms, applications etc. They will only involve their client in these tasks when necessary. This will enable you, the injured party, with the chance to focus more on your recovery.
Examples of what a good lawyer should be able to clearly and simply explain to their client includes:
The process that is involved in making a claim for either a:
- Motor Vehicle Accident Claim;
- Queensland Workplace Compensation Claim;
- Occupier’s Liability Claim;
- Public Liability Claim; and
- Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Claim;
How your compensation amount is calculated.
- The likelihood of your compensation claim being successful.
- What needs to be done and by what date.
- What information the lawyer will acquire on your behalf.
- How your costs / fees are calculated. East Coast Injury Lawyers will explain to you in your initial, free consultation how costs are calculated. You will also be provided, at your initial, free consultation, a copy of our Costs Agreement. This Costs Agreement is written in plain English.
- Our lawyers will continually advise as to the cost implications of different courses of legal action.
- To avoid unnecessary costs, you will be updated or communicated with when required.
What makes a good law firm
Some characteristics of a good law firm include:
- A “no win, no fee” policy which ensures that you do not pay the law firm anything if your claim does not result in damages being paid to you.
- Very clear and easy to understand Costs Agreement.
- Provides the client with a good support structure. For example, East Coast Injury Lawyers provide their clients with access to an after-hours lawyer in the event of an emergency.
- Highly experienced and specialised support staff.
- A firm-wide focus on achieving the best outcome for clients.